Terry Riley Festival
June 26, 27, & 28, 2015
201 Franklin Street, San Francisco, California
Happy 80th Birthday Terry!
With Zakir Hussain, Wu Man, and other surprise guests.
– Video by Evan Neff World Premiere (2 minutes)
– Terry Riley / The Cusp of Magic (first movement) (10 minutes)
with special guest Wu Man, pipa
– David Harrington welcome and introduce Zakir Hussain (2 minutes)
– Zakir Hussain / Taal In T
Solo piece by Zakir Hussain, tabla and tuned percussion
– Terry Riley / One Earth, One People, One Love from Sun Rings * (9 minutes)
– Presentation, Details TBA (5 minutes)
– Aleksander Kościów / Oberek for Terry Riley * World Premiere (4 minutes)
– Pete Townshend (arr. Jacob Garchik) / Baba O’Riley + World Premiere (5 minutes)
– Yoko Ono / To Match the Sky World Premiere (3 minutes)
Birthday Performance Piece to Terry Riley
– Terry Riley / Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector * (13 minutes)
with special guest Zakir Hussain
– Terry Riley / Sunrise Jam World Premiere (10 minutes)
with special guests Albert Behar, Jherek Bischoff, George Brooks,
David Coulter, Mark Grey, Anna Halprin, Zakir Hussain, Wu Man,
Gyan Riley, Frédéric Rosselet, Greg Saunier, Vân-Ánh Vanessa Võ, Aleksandra Vrebalov, Alice Wingwall
Note: Sunrise Jam is a surprise for Terry and the audience.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
With this festival, Kronos celebrates its long and fruitful artistic relationship with Terry Riley on the occasion of his 80th birthday. Riley and the quartet met more than 35 years ago, and since then, Kronos has commissioned 27 works from him, more than from any other composer in the organization’s history. The festival, the first project in the new KRONOS PRESENTS series, features some of Riley’s most significant and rarely-performed works, plus several world premieres composed in his honor, with special guest performers including Zakir Hussain, Wu Man, and Riley’s son Gyan—and of course, some birthday surprises, too.
THANK YOU TO OUR FUNDERS AND SPONSORS
KRONOS PRESENTS: Terry Riley Festival is made possible by generous support from Grants for the Arts/San Francisco Hotel Tax Fund, the Clarence E. Heller Charitable Foundation, and the Board of Directors of the Kronos Performing Arts Association. Additional support provided by The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and The Bernard Osher Foundation.
KRONOS PRESENTS: Terry Riley Festival is the inaugural program of KRONOS PRESENTS, a new initiative that will showcase the organization’s expansive curatorial vision, far-ranging musical collaborators and broad musical aesthetics, through an annual festival and other events. KRONOS PRESENTS is a program of the Kronos Performing Arts Association.
STAY UPDATED WITH KRONOS